In light of COVID-19, first and foremost we want to say that we hope that you and your families are happy and healthy during this time.
COVID-19 poses some unique challenges
- Bull City Fit: Bull City Fit is a pediatric wellness program based in Durham, North Carolina. During COVID-19 they are posting unique challenges and hosting cooking classes online. Although you can only earn a ‘buck’ if you are an active member of the program, you can still get ideas for challenges to stay active based on their blog posts!
- Instagram: @bullcityfit
- Facebook: Bull City Fit
- YMCA: The YMCA is a nonprofit committed to strengthening community. Some YMCAs are offering virtual group fitness classes via Zoom. Check the Facebook page of your local YMCA to see if they have posted links and group fitness schedules.
- YouTube: There are several YouTube channels that post workouts you can follow in your own home. Here are some of the channels we’re using to find workouts.
You can also just search videos for the type of workout that your looking for. From HIIT, to yoga, there’s probably a video you can follow along to.
You can also stay active by taking walks in your neighborhood, maintaining good social distance practices, playing basketball in your driveway or playing fun games on a gaming system like Just Dance for the Wii!
Moving your body in a way that you enjoy will help keep your spirits up during this difficult time.
It can be difficult to manage our eating habits when the rest of our schedules have been uprooted.
Here are some suggestions from Dr. Robert Kushner to manage stress eating:
- Plan in advance when grocery shopping
- Set simple guidelines for eating mindfully at home. For example, only eat when you are at the table, in a chair and eating off a plate.
- Identify other coping strategies that do not include food.
OCEANS is here for you! If you need help connecting with resources in your community during the COVID-19 pandemic please reach out to use and we will do our best to connect you.
Stay happy and healthy!